BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-25-2023, 09:33 PM   #23
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 - MG

OP, great thread idea. I've been starting to research and this has been very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
The car wash scene is just as big as the car scene, itself. It all depends on how much money you care to spend on this endeavour. If you just want to get the proper tools, I'll go what's a hit, and what's not.

Pressure washer: I have the Active 2.0. It's a hit in the car washing scene.

Foam cannon: MTM PF22.2 orifice nozzle depends on how much pressure your pressure washer puts out.

Chemicals: Chemical Guys is more about marketing than anything else. Dr. Beasleys is considered professional grade, as is Koch Chemie, GTechniq, CarPro, Rupes, Lake Country, 3D, Sonax, ONR, etc.
I've been deep in the other pressure washer thread for the last couple months and probably will buy the Active 2.0. Based on your experience, do you think the only things needed are the full Active kit direct from manufacturer, plus the MTM PF22.2 foam cannon? OG has a bunch of very expensive kits, and Clean Garage has one that is pricey (~$600ish) but has the MTM cannon, 50' hose, a swivel gun, and other stuff. Is all that additional equipment needed, or will Active 2.0 + MTM foam cannon (much cheaper than the rest of the package), as you wrote above, be sufficient (for now at least)? I don't mind springing for the Clean Garage package but don't want to buy things I don't need.
Appreciate 1
AWDSOME631.50
      01-25-2023, 10:14 PM   #24
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
OP, great thread idea. I've been starting to research and this has been very helpful.

I've been deep in the other pressure washer thread for the last couple months and probably will buy the Active 2.0. Based on your experience, do you think the only things needed are the full Active kit direct from manufacturer, plus the MTM PF22.2 foam cannon? OG has a bunch of very expensive kits, and Clean Garage has one that is pricey (~$600ish) but has the MTM cannon, 50' hose, a swivel gun, and other stuff. Is all that additional equipment needed, or will Active 2.0 + MTM foam cannon (much cheaper than the rest of the package), as you wrote above, be sufficient (for now at least)? I don't mind springing for the Clean Garage package but don't want to buy things I don't need.
I checked the websites to try to determine what kits you're referring to, to attempt to discern exactly what you're getting for the difference in price. The OG stuff, is really good. The Ultimate package is like $580, but it also comes with the OG spec swivel gun. The nice thing about the OG spec gun, is the swivel is buried in the handle, and you don't have a bunch of fud sticking out the bottom of the gun.

I'm not sure what $600 package is over at the Clean Garage, I don't even see anything for $600 over there. I ordered all of my stuff over time. I ordered the PF22 foam cannon, the gun and the hose all at the same time. Ive had my Mosmatic gun before the OG spec one came out, so, I dont have that, either.

It all comes down to what you re willing to deal with. The Active hose is cheap and kinks. There is some silly law, that the pressure washer guns are supposed to have a long lance on them, so, you don't accidentally spray yourself with the pressure washer nozzle.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 08:04 AM   #25
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I checked the websites to try to determine what kits you're referring to, to attempt to discern exactly what you're getting for the difference in price. The OG stuff, is really good. The Ultimate package is like $580, but it also comes with the OG spec swivel gun. The nice thing about the OG spec gun, is the swivel is buried in the handle, and you don't have a bunch of fud sticking out the bottom of the gun.

I'm not sure what $600 package is over at the Clean Garage, I don't even see anything for $600 over there. I ordered all of my stuff over time. I ordered the PF22 foam cannon, the gun and the hose all at the same time. Ive had my Mosmatic gun before the OG spec one came out, so, I dont have that, either.

It all comes down to what you re willing to deal with. The Active hose is cheap and kinks. There is some silly law, that the pressure washer guns are supposed to have a long lance on them, so, you don't accidentally spray yourself with the pressure washer nozzle.
Here is the CG package: https://clean-garage.com/active-2-0-...non-pre-order/

And the OG package (I didn’t see one for 580, unless you meant 500 on top of the pressure washer):https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...table-solution

Thinking maybe the Active 2.0, the pf22, and a swivel handle make sense (the active 2.0 handle looks massive). Does the swivel need a wand for rinsing?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #26
stanyu15
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiigg View Post
Congrats on a beautiful car! I have all of our vehicles ceramic coated from new, and used the 2 bucket method with pressure washer and foam cannon for years. I’ve spent thousands of dollars over the years on cleaning products from Autogeek, the Rag Company, etc. That said, I honestly despised washing them as it took me hours, I had to find a shady spot, the weather had to be just right, etc., but I did so because I didn’t trust anyone else to do so and was not willing to scratch them up in automated car washes (YES, I am OCD). In discussing this with the owner of the company that ceramic coats our vehicles, he suggested that I try Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine, or ONR… if you haven’t heard of it, research it- (there are tons of videos on YouTube)!

ONR was a game changer for me… I use it per instructions to wash the vehicles and dry them with high quality microfiber towels with Technicians Choice TEC582 Ceramic Detail Spray in my heated and cooled garage. I can assure you I’ve looked under all light conditions for micro scratches and can’t find any! Caveat would be our vehicles are not driven off road or in salty conditions, etc., but if they were, I’d pressure wash rinse them off first and then wash them inside with ONR. Also, every other wash I do clean the wheels with SONAX wheel cleaner, especially our BMWs with all the brake dust.
I’m thinking of going the onr route but what do you do with the drying towel after each wash? Do you hang it up or wash and dry it after a few use? I’m concerned ill have little bits of debris stuck in the towel and it’ll scratch the paint during the next use
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #27
Twiigg
Automobile Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanyu15 View Post
I’m thinking of going the onr route but what do you do with the drying towel after each wash? Do you hang it up or wash and dry it after a few use? I’m concerned ill have little bits of debris stuck in the towel and it’ll scratch the paint during the next use
Using the ONR per instructions with a premium microfiber mitt, I hardly ever have any debris left prior to drying to get in the towel. That said, as you alluded to, I use a 20x30 Gauntlet Drying Towel from the Rag Company, fold it and use a new portion of the towel on each panel and wash and dry the towel after each use. Been using this method for almost a year and can tell you there are less fine scratches in the finish now than when I was using foam cannons, 2 bucket method, etc.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      02-05-2023, 10:09 AM   #28
AWDSOME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C Xdrive

So after doing a lot of research I think I'm leaning towards the Kranzle K1122TST.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Obsessed Garage Ultimate Tier and the Clean Garage Mosmatic and MTM.

It's a $400 difference between the two. Is the Obsessed Garage package that much better?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 10:14 AM   #29
Sparky_12
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp xDrive Convertibl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDSOME View Post
So after doing a lot of research I think I'm leaning towards the Kranzle K1122TST.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Obsessed Garage Ultimate Tier and the Clean Garage Mosmatic and MTM.

It's a $400 difference between the two. Is the Obsessed Garage package that much better?

My thoughts aren’t specific to that package but I find the OG stuff to come at a significant premium than might be gotten in pieces elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
AWDSOME631.50
      02-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #30
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanyu15 View Post
I was a ONR person for a bit but P&S came out with a product that's by far better in my opinion. I don't wash my car nowhere as much as I used to especially this time of year.. My procedure in the garage is down to a science and can be finished relatively quickly depending on what I feel like and drinking 🍸.
Here is a picture of my arsenal of products. I make up a 4 gallon mixture in bucket with a guitar guard at bottom of bucket and then fill up sprayer and spray my whole car except wheels. I use my MIT and wash whole car and use my gauntlet towel to wipe down car a d then co e back and use my beadmaker or xtreme solutions as a drying aid to make paint pop. I use other HK sprayer with a mixture of water and brake buster, spray wheels with P&S Absolute and ice Meguiars microfiber brush and do wheels. Car comes out great and I did not ceramic coat car.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 3
AWDSOME631.50
T0RM3NT3791.00
Aalfred2661.00
      02-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #31
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUNITNOW View Post
I was a ONR person for a bit but P&S came out with a product that's by far better in my opinion. I don't wash my car nowhere as much as I used to especially this time of year.. My procedure in the garage is down to a science and can be finished relatively quickly depending on what I feel like and drinking 🍸.
Here is a picture of my arsenal of products. I make up a 4 gallon mixture in bucket with a guitar guard at bottom of bucket and then fill up sprayer and spray my whole car except wheels. I use my MIT and wash whole car and use my gauntlet towel to wipe down car a d then co e back and use my beadmaker or xtreme solutions as a drying aid to make paint pop. I use other HK sprayer with a mixture of water and brake buster, spray wheels with P&S Absolute and ice Meguiars microfiber brush and do wheels. Car comes out great and I did not ceramic coat car.
Also forgot, I use blo dryer to dry wheels so there is no spots in side wheels. They actually look better than the traditional way of washing them.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:48 PM   #32
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
Similar scenario as I typically use ONR and occasionally CG no rinse products. Giving PS a try. I don’t use a mitt but use multiple microfiber towels to wash. I’m considering using one of those ONR or rag company sponges.
The wheels are a monster PITA. Love the look of them but just the cleaning routine is making me consider aftermarket. As for cleaning, I use a few different soft microfiber brushes and a microfiber towel per wheel with ONR sprayed on the wheels.
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3595.50
      02-05-2023, 06:33 PM   #33
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
Similar scenario as I typically use ONR and occasionally CG no rinse products. Giving PS a try. I don’t use a mitt but use multiple microfiber towels to wash. I’m considering using one of those ONR or rag company sponges.
The wheels are a monster PITA. Love the look of them but just the cleaning routine is making me consider aftermarket. As for cleaning, I use a few different soft microfiber brushes and a microfiber towel per wheel with ONR sprayed on the wheels.
Yeah, I have a love hate relationship with wheels. I have a sponge but I don't like it for whatever reason and prefer the mit. I also have ceramic pads and it mitigates some of the brake dust.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #34
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I have a love hate relationship with wheels. I have a sponge but I don't like it for whatever reason and prefer the mit. I also have ceramic pads and it mitigates some of the brake dust.
Forgot to mention the car is ceramic coated, including wheels and I have PPF on the front clip. I ordered the rag comp sponge to give it a shot - though I’m still not comfortable(despite their claims) using the same sponge on multiple panels of the car.

I’ve been eyeing some pads now for that very reason but seemingly the ebc are out of stock and I can’t bring myself to spend $650+ for isweep. Carbotech has mixed reviews if they fit or not. Perhaps another weekend of agony from cleaning may change my perspective on the isweep.
Appreciate 2
JDUNITNOW3595.50
M4Tejas846.00
      02-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #35
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:
The car wash scene is just as big as the car scene, itself. It all depends on how much money you care to spend on this endeavour. If you just want to get the proper tools, I'll go what's a hit, and what's not.

Pressure washer: I have the Active 2.0. It's a hit in the car washing scene.

Foam cannon: MTM PF22.2 orifice nozzle depends on how much pressure your pressure washer puts out.

Chemicals: Chemical Guys is more about marketing than anything else. Dr. Beasleys is considered professional grade, as is Koch Chemie, GTechniq, CarPro, Rupes, Lake Country, 3D, Sonax, ONR, etc.
^^ What Lime said...
      02-06-2023, 04:06 PM   #36
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
Forgot to mention the car is ceramic coated, including wheels and I have PPF on the front clip. I ordered the rag comp sponge to give it a shot - though I’m still not comfortable(despite their claims) using the same sponge on multiple panels of the car.

I’ve been eyeing some pads now for that very reason but seemingly the ebc are out of stock and I can’t bring myself to spend $650+ for isweep. Carbotech has mixed reviews if they fit or not. Perhaps another weekend of agony from cleaning may change my perspective on the isweep.
Me too on the pads. I ordered some from buybrakes.com and although the fronts are for ceramic rotors, they fit with just a small edge pertruding from caliper, it's been ok fro 8600 miles on car. I didn't pay nowhere as much as from isweep pads.
Attached Images

04 BMW X5
Appreciate 1
all8up91.50
      02-25-2023, 08:29 PM   #37
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM80 View Post
I've heard the Active 2.0 pressure washer is great bang for your buck -
The Active 2.0 has been on backorder for quite a while now.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 12:29 PM   #38
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Quote:
Me too on the pads. I ordered some from buybrakes.com and although the fronts are for ceramic rotors, they fit with just a small edge pertruding from caliper, it's been ok fro 8600 miles on car. I didn't pay nowhere as much as from isweep pads.
Damn EBC red are still out of stock. But buybrakes is claiming they will be avail in a week. If that doesn’t come through, I will likely give the centric a go as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #39
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

On the pressure washer, I actually approach it differently. It will need parts down the road. Whether it be a capacitor, pump seals, etc. Consider something from CamSpray, MITM, etc. USA made, with parts that are pretty common in the -pressure washer world-. Which is a pump/motor. Pricing is going to be same/similar to higher end Kranzles and just cross comparison parts and cost as these things do need service from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 10:36 PM   #40
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
You found the right rabbit hole on your own! I popped for the Kranzle K1322TS 'ultimate' kit and haven't regretted one bit the (considerable) expense. For function, results and ease of use, I couldn't ask for more. A proper cordless electric leaf blower (EGO, for most) makes easy work of drying (especially crevices).

Pair that with your choice of cleaning products, wash mitts and drying towels, and brushes (Mark at OG has done the evaluations for you; you just need to watch his library of videos), or go with what others here recommend.

Oh -- and a wheeled stool for working on wheels and detailing vertical panels without bending over.
Agreed, the Kranzle setup from them is awesome. Couldn't be happier. It's like having the real deal carwash right at your house
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
luckylingy3245.00
      03-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #41
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

I second the OG Kranzle setup. YES it is expensive. But if you're fortunate enough to swing it, there's nothing like using high quality equipment that'll last decades.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
AWDSOME631.50
fmzip1651.00
ROASTM163.50
      03-13-2023, 01:16 PM   #42
tico1028
Lieutenant
Rep

I finally bit the bullet on the Active 2.0 and pretty much all the accessories from OG yesterday. Looking forward to when all this stuff arrives.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232357.50
T0RM3NT3791.00
      03-14-2023, 05:34 AM   #43
Guy559
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I second the OG Kranzle setup. YES it is expensive. But if you're fortunate enough to swing it, there's nothing like using high quality equipment that'll last decades.
Love this setup. What are the tiles you used for garage floor?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 06:50 PM   #44
AWDSOME
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C Xdrive

Got to use my Kranzle for the first time today 😍
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
T0RM3NT3791.00
tico1028124.00