View Single Post
      12-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I don't have a strong informed opinion, I believe I stated that in my first sentence.

Just pondering why/why not something could be a good or bad thing.

It is certainly a very interesting topic, I firmly believe that the net needs to stay as wild and free as possible, I'm just not sure what that means regarding regulation of it.

We need to have space for innovators to innovate, and they need to be able to profit from it. At the same time, we can't have the current powers stomping out innovation because it threatens them.

Many good analogies can be drawn directly from the auto industry, I just don't have that kind of time right now.
Quote:
So, remember that time you were like "fuck yeah, im going to the library!" and we all got in the car and we got there.

The librarian was super helpful in helping you navigate the Dewey decimal system, but when you went to check out some books, she started charging you more for certain books. Like, for no reason other than because she wanted to.

You were like "woah dude, this is a library, these books shouldn't be priced differently based on their content!" to which she said "Tough. Nothing stopping me. You can read these books that align with my ideological and political leanings for $5, or you can read this book that I authored for free. But these books that I don't want you reading? $20."

Sadly, your broke ass didn't have $20 so you didn't get the books you wanted and you took the books you were offered for free. The entire drive home, you were mad that you had to pay more for access to something that you didnt have to before. You then said "why dont we just go to that other library across town" to which i had to remind you "dude, we only have ONE library that services our area. There is another library, sure. And that library may even have a better selection. But the problem is that you dont live in the right area so that librarian wont even let you check out books. And even then there is no guarantee that she wont charge you whatever she wants as well."

Then you pouted for a bit.
Source: https://np.reddit.com/r/explainlikeI..._im_a/dq6ppr4/
Appreciate 0