View Single Post
      01-14-2024, 10:38 AM   #8
DJ Syxx
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Next up back to the seats again. The E60 comes as standard with normal fixed seats and you can option to have split folding seats. As it happened, I found from a breaker, split folding seats in the same Dakota beige with everything needed to retrofit. Didn't do a DIY on this as there is info out there on this already but here they are now installed:

Next up was something I should have done at the time of replacing all 8 ignition coils and that was the spark plugs. Again there's plenty of info on this out there on a DIY. The hardest part is removing the spark plug on cylinder 4 and cylinder 8 due to the bulkhead either side giving limited access room. On Bank 1, the AC line bracket needs to be undone and moved away to gain precious few cm of space. Bank 2 is a little better only needing the power cable bracket to be undone and moved out of the way. You also need a swivel joint and a few extensions connected together.

You can either go with Bosch or NGK. Realoem highlights which particular plug part number you need. I went with the Bosch ones and part no. FGR7DQP+. A set of 8 were purchased from GSF:

Old bosch ones removed. No record of when these were replaced but safe to say, it was a good time to replace:

These are then torqued down to around 25nm.

Next up which was a bit unexpected, the alternator decided to cause havoc by not behaving properly and not running the correct voltage. So after nearly falling off my seat seeing a recon unit from ECP being over £500, I found this company which I think a few on here have used before:https://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/

So one was ordered and I got on with removing the old alternator. This was the original and had the BMW logo on the label. Old and new:

Installed:

Hardest part is installing the replacement as it is a heavy unit and having to wiggle it in until the mounting holes line properly so that the bolts can be inserted and started by hand.

Voltages with the car up and running back up to the normal 14v.

Next will be looking into a potential suspension refresh with replacing the control arms given the car is on 110k miles. Stay tuned and thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0