View Single Post
      10-09-2023, 07:36 PM   #6
carconn
CarConn
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 528i

Red face 2009 528I E60 N52 cranks but won't start - solved !

Quote:
Originally Posted by carconn View Post
Now I'm getting 2 codes after cranking/no-start.
651B - Suction Jet Pump Malfunction
6294 - EKPS Control current Too Low

I am waiting on a Bosch filter/Pressure regulator assembly. Let's see if that fixes the problem. I will post the results.
The problem WAS caused by the after market filter/pressure regulator/jet pump assembly(barely 4 months old). As soon as I replaced the part with a Bosch unit (made in Czech Republic), the fuel pressure went right back to normal and the car started up on the first try.

When I first researched my no-start problem, I found very little info about the fuel delivery system on the E60 N52 cars. I also barely received any helpful replies to my posts regarding the no start issue. Hence I will share my experience, hoping it will help others.

So, if you have a no-start tissue, but have a spark, but the car won't start, then if:
A. You have barely any fuel pressure at the rail.
B. The fuel pump runs, and can be turned on using a scanner or INPA
C. The EKP module is OK, and the scanner can communicate with it.
D. The left (driver's side) of the car has way more fuel than the right side

Then, your filter module is probably defective. This module has a pressure module, jet pump and a fuel level sensor built into it. The fuel is pumped to this module by the main fuel pump located on the right half of the fuel tank. The filter assembly on the left side modulates the pressure, then sends fuel to the fuel rail at the specified pressure (around 72psi) Excess fuel is sent back to the right side side via a jet pump and plastic hose within the tank. Hence if the pressure regulator fails and/or the jet pump fails, then fuel pressure at the rail is too low for the car to start. And if the main fuel pump is working properly, then all the fuel ends up accumulating in the left side of the tank and the right side is virtually empty.

If the pump or the filter assembly haven't been replaced in a while, its probably better to replace both at the same time with Bosch parts to help avoid future problems.
Appreciate 1
mp3_in8.50