View Single Post
      05-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #95
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

@ Mirob & wtwo3 -

1) It finished last in dynamics by far. 21/25 for fun to drive while others got 23 and 25, and 49 out of 60 on dynamics while others got 51, 55, and 55.
2) G80 is more competent than F80 and receiving better praise, but didn't solve any of the disconnected feeling IMO.
3) That Car Magazine UK rewiew, along with the Motortrend one, don't cite much about the specifics of the cars against eachother. They mention the Cadillac, or Alfa, had more charisma and were fun but there's not much direct feedback which makes it tough to judge. I also rate them and Motortrend as more of the casual drivers while C&D, EVO, and Road&Track are higher quality.
And to me, it still doesn't matter if bmw is getting worse or competitors are better. They simply don't have the uniqueness and prowess that they have previously, and that comes down to the feedback they provide. Look at this quote from EVO in the giulia vs m3 comparison:

"So that’s all very neat then. Except that this is evo, so… ‘From a professional road tester’s perspective the BMW trumps the Alfa, but as an enthusiast I know that in my heart I love the Giulia,’ says Dickie, glancing fondly at the Giulia, streaked in unseasonal road salt. Jordan calls the big red one ‘joyful’ despite giving the nod to the M3 overall ‘by a hair’.

The appeal of the M3 grows on you, and will probably continue to do so over time, but having the Quadrifoglio in your life is to possess something that feels truly exotic, that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time you see and hear it, that brings the task of driving for fun truly alive. You’ll always look for the long, interesting way home in the Alfa, in a way you only occasionally would in the others. That’s not just the hallmark of a great car, it’s the stuff of an evo legend.

Once again, I stand by my statement. I never said BMW was bad. I never said they didn't make objectively fantastic cars. Could your G80 absolutely cook an E90 M3? Could an M340i absolutely beat down on a 335i? Could an XM lap faster than a Cayenne S? Yes, Yes, and Yes. It is not about numbers and speed and road tests where I'm criticizing BMW, it's in feedback. And if you don't think so, you should probably spend more time in an E chassis platform

I said the below to start the thread, and I maintain it despite your efforts to show how M3's have won comparison tests or competitors are bad etc etc:

"OP is right. BMW is still a good manufacturer but not at all special like they once were - that specialness was from the feeling, not from numbers."

Last edited by scotthilly; 05-01-2024 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 2