View Single Post
      06-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Personally, I only like the P40 and P41.

For this car, I want to leave the roundels bmw style.. don't want to change them.

I have a matte black m5 emblem, but I am nervous to put it on. You have to be VERY careful with this paint. I can only use Mothers Cali Gold car wash shampoo, because it doesn't have any type of wax ingredient in it. If any wax/wax product/wax ingredient touches the paint, it needs to be repainted. Same goes if it ever gets scratched. I cant use tire shine, because overspray cannot touch this paint. You also always have to clean off bugs on the front bumper, atleast every 2 days.

There is some type of clear coat or something on it where the water beads right off, and BMW is doing R&D creating a product for me to use, they are doing long-term testing (must be done before they can call it a bmw product) and i'll have it by April 2010.

So I might use painters tape and plastic and section off the badge area, and use GooGone to take off the adhesive. This way, if anything goes wrong the badge will cover up the problem area of the paint.

That is the only reason it has not been done yet. The part is sitting in my room.. going to do it this weekend maybe.
I am interested in learning more about this special paint. Why can one not use a product with any kind of wax in it out of fear of it having to be damaged to such a degree that it needs to be rapainted? Does it not have a clear coat? And how would you remove the bugs? Because if any wax product might damage the paint, I can only imagine what a bug removal product might do, let alone a sponge with fierce rubbing to get the bug guts off...
Appreciate 0