View Single Post
      02-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
NTI V10
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
I can't remember the last time a thread made me join a forum...

The SMG is fine to live with day-to-day if you remember what it is. If you expect the smoothness of an auto when you're commuting, you'll be disappointed. It certainly works better than the F1 box in a Ferrari or Maserati but it is behind the DSG in either the GT-R or M3 in terms of mundane driving.

And...um, the M3 will not, "run circles" around an M5. That's a bit like your little brother thinking he'll beat you in one-on-one.
That's funny, this thread had the same effect on me.

I have been driving my SMG M5 daily for the last 9 months and have put about 20k miles on it since then. I am so used to the way that SMG operates that when I leave it in auto mode, for instance if I have passengers along who are not looking for a thrill ride, my throttle control is such that it is no less smooth than a regular automatic. It's all a matter of getting used to it. There is no reason for the car to EVER feel herky-jerky unless the driver doesn't know how to drive it properly.

An M3 will run circles around an M5? What a riot. Right. You obviously have never driven an M5. I've had an M3 and three different M5s, and driven countless others of each model. While I would never contest that the two cars are built for different purposes, and as such one is more capable at certain types of maneuvers or in certain settings, there is no situation where either car of the same model year will "run circles around" the other.

That is, unless we're talking straight line acceleration, because you had better get a good look at me when you're next to me, because you're never going to see anything but my taillights after I hit it.
Appreciate 0