12-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #132
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
I work in advertising and while it does play a role in this, they cannot skew the figures. Cars are out performing BMW in performance, price and value. Its a crazy time to see Mustangs and Camaros beating the m3 in lap times. BMW owners only defense is "does ur mustang have as nice of an interior, or X tech etc. etc. " which are all claims the m3 did not brag about. The m3 was never supposed to be a premium luxury package which BMW has been turning the //M Badge into an emblem of.

BMW is doing very well at catering to the mass audience and is always promoting record sales. You cannot argue that. But their success at catering to the mass audience in many regards is coming at the expense of the enthusiast audience. I dont understand why it has to be one or the other as I feel many brands, particularly Ford is doing a terrific job at releasing models which check both boxes both with their trucks and their cars.
BMW is living off its Roundel legacy from the 1970s through 1990s, where they still made enthusiast cars and enthusiasts bought them. Now that most BMW owners lease and don't keep the car past 30,000 miles, it's a false positive. BMW is now just a small maker of mainstream sedans and SUVs. BMW could barely handle the Takata airbag fieasco where the other large car companies replaced defective hardware without lengthy waiting periods. If BMW didn't have such a scheme going of lease-then-resell, which is highly profitable they'd be much worse financially. BMWs legacy/lease scheme is a good business model, but we'll see how long it lasts.
Appreciate 2